Cataclysm Children
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cataclysm Children

Official Forums of the WowScape Horde Guild Cataclysm Children

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ventrilo Server?

Go down 
+3
Boatlightz
HarleyQuinnz
Teelux
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Teelux
Mindless Ramblings
Mindless Ramblings
Teelux

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Ventrilo Server?   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 9:54 pm

Not so much a suggestion, but more of a question.

Was wondering if at some point our guild will have a hosted Ventrilo server?
Back to top Go down
HarleyQuinnz
Uber Poster
Uber Poster
HarleyQuinnz

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Uh.   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 3:54 pm

I don't have the technology or know how to use vent, lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/spawnosatan
Boatlightz
Mindless Ramblings
Mindless Ramblings
Boatlightz

Number of posts : 91

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server?   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 1:32 am

I like the idea, but...

Tankwarning and myself both use Linux, for which there is no native client. It is possible to get the Windows client to work under Wine, but.... like, that's like, a lot of work, maaaaan.....

None of us own headsets. I guess mics (builtin or otherwise) + headphones would work too.

Finally, I get the feeling that unless we had a lot of mature, skilled players, the use of Ventrilo would look something like this:

99.98% of the time: "hey did you hear about [insert cock joke]?" + [sound of laughing too loud in to the microphone]
00.02% : [whoever is tanking]: "GOD DAMN IT BOAT WHERE THE FUCK WERE MY HEALS???????" + [sound of laughing too loud in to the microphone]

But to reiterate, I do like the idea. Maybe we can put something together for an as-needed basis.
Back to top Go down
Tankwarning
Uber Poster
Uber Poster
Tankwarning

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server?   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 12:49 pm

I like the idea. Or rather, I like all the things that would be good about it. It would make calling for heals easier when I'm tanking, being able to more quickly react to a change in strategy and drastically reduce the need to constantly repeat ourselves to people who are too busy jacking off to pay attention to the raid chat.

I don't like the fact that it would all too often lead us away from the task at hand (i.e. as Boat pointed out, telling dick jokes). And there's always ALWAYS that one fucking faggot who sticks the microphone inside his fucking mouth and talks/screams at the top of his fucking lungs. If we were to use the ventrilo thing then we'd have to set ground rules, like no talking unless necessary for the raid and all dick jokes can go in the raid chat.

So in other words, I'm not against the idea, but I'm certainly not crazy about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cataclysmic_wretch
Boatlightz
Mindless Ramblings
Mindless Ramblings
Boatlightz

Number of posts : 91

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server?   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:57 pm

Ok, I've looked in to it a bit, and Ventrilo is looking more and more feasible. First, we need a server host. We can do this ourselves for free, or rent a host for like $5/month. Tankwarning can host it on his computer, as his computer is far less crash-prone than mine, and he has a lot more upstream bandwidth than I do. Tank, I'll get in touch with you on what needs to happen for this. Fortunately, they do make a Linux server. We'd probably also want to register something like with DynDNS.org so we're not having to tell people to connect to some obscure IP address.

Linux clients are "in development" and there are some success stories, specifically in getting Ventrilo and WoW to work simultaneously under Wine in Linux.

However, further research indicates that TeamSpeak may be a better option. The bandwidth requirements appear to be a little higher, but there are native clients for Linux, Windows and OS X.

Would anyone be totally pissed if we went with TeamSpeak instead?
Back to top Go down
Tankwarning
Uber Poster
Uber Poster
Tankwarning

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server?   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 12:02 am

From what I understand, teamspeak is also commonly used for WoW (it was mentioned in the South Park episode "Make Love Not Warcraft") and probably would be just as easy. I'll host it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cataclysmic_wretch
Teelux
Mindless Ramblings
Mindless Ramblings
Teelux

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server?   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 1:37 pm

I could settle with either or. I say whatever is easier for you guys.
Back to top Go down
yellafella
Mindless Ramblings
Mindless Ramblings
yellafella

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server?   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 11:30 am

vent or TeamSpeak sound like i great idea, if everyone can stay focused on the raid ofcourse.
Back to top Go down
http://FuckmeGorgeous.bilddagboken.se
HarleyQuinnz
Uber Poster
Uber Poster
HarleyQuinnz

Number of posts : 131

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server?   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 1:00 pm

yellafella wrote:
vent or Team Speak sound like i great idea, if everyone can stay focused on the raid of course.

Our productivity would go up if we used either program since last night all we could do was talk about dick jokes, jews, presidents. OH lol and with that in mind we added two new members. Hebrewhamma and Frozzenn.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/spawnosatan
Garnyth
Noob Cake MMM
Noob Cake MMM
Garnyth

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server?   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 2:59 pm

dude harley that is the national past time of wow lol cheers
Back to top Go down
Pamdora
Social Butterfly
Social Butterfly
Pamdora

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server?   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:41 pm

we talk enough doodoo in the guild chat lol. i guess typing, talking and rading at the same time would be a lil confusing but the idea is cool even though i won't use it i rather to type cos of my work i pass all day TALKING so when i get to wow the less thing i want to do is talk .... HELLS NO Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ventrilo Server? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server?   Ventrilo Server? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ventrilo Server?
Page 1 of 1